1. Alcohol Haze method - depends on the insolubility of polysaccharides in alcoholic solutions.
2. Roberts method - combines the alcohol precipitation of polysaccharides with the selective precipitation of dextrans by a copper reagent.
3. Enzymatic technique - makes use of the measurement of viscosity before and after treatment with the enzyme dextranase.
1. Loss of cane weight
2. Lower cane quality
3. Lower cane payment
4. Lower relative factor
5. Reduced quota
• Reduced grinding rate
• Lower juice purity, higher tc/ts
• Poor clarification
• Increased pan boiling, crystallization and curing times
• Lower sugar quality
• Increased sugar loss in molasses.